This will not be a comprehensive list of the top sites in each fandom. Instead, it’s a list of the links I visit the most frequently, as well as sites where you can more easily find stories or story recs. Please be aware that every one of the sites listed below contains links to clearly-designated Mature-rated fics.
- TVTropes.org – For an understanding of various fandom “tropes” or subgenres, or for partial lists of fics which fall under those categories, I recommend this site. Click on your favorite fandom (e.g, this list of recs for the HP fandom) and start following the links to the different tropes and their definitions. Examples: Peggy Sue (Re-do; time-travel fics), Alt Fics (AU, Alternate Universe), Chessmaster, Anti-Hero, and more.
- dw_ficsearch – A very active, friendly LJ community. This is the best place I know of to ask for help finding a specific DW fic or type of fic. It is also a good place to browse if you are just generally interested in finding an interesting DW story which others recommend.
- Calufrax – This LJ community is a favorite among my friends for the high-quality DW fic recs and the easily-searchable tags. I’ve spent a lot of time over here.
- Isiscaughey’s Doctor Who Rec Lists – Isiscaughey has obviously worked hard to assemble some fantastic rec lists for DW fics. The lists are well organized, sorted by Doctor and by trope, such as the infamous “Shag or Die” fics, Baby/Kid Fic Recs, Reunion fics, and many more. But the best part is that her recs are very carefully chosen, giving this list added weight. The lists aren’t updated anymore, but I believe they cover all of the Eccleston & Tennant years.
- Who_Daily – Yet another active LJ community which posts daily lists of what fics have been updated or posted that day, as well as any other fandom or show news.
- A Teaspoon & An Open Mind Recs – My most frequently used, slightly roundabout, method of finding recs is to go to the Whofic.com profile for someone whose tastes I trust (My profile is here, ahem.) and explore that person’s lists of favorite authors, stories and series. From there, follow the links to their favorite authors’ favorite authors. Continue ad infinitum.
- Personal Rec Lists By Others: PhoenixTears89 has a list with great recs I haven’t seen elsewhere, all easily sortable by tags. Wendy (WMR) has hundreds of favorite stories and authors. Note the impeccable tastes of LorelaiSquared, one of the kindest people ever, and an extremely creative, gifted author (particularly for those of you who like just a touch more angst than I, the angst wimp, usually rec). Fid_gin is another talented author with a great rec list.
- Help! I’m looking for… – This is the best place I know of to ask for help finding a specific HP fic or type of fic. It is also a good forum to browse if you are just generally interested in finding an interesting HP story which others recommend.
- Know-it-Alls – Fic Recs from a picky staff of objective rec’ers. As a staff member, I’m highly biased, but I think I’m correct in saying this is one of the best Harry Potter sites in existence, and the best site for finding quality recs. Also check out the site’s sidebar: at the bottom are “Outside Links,” including a very comprehensive list of other rec sites. Get to know this site as the reviews and resources here are the best way to find high-quality fics in the Harry Potter fandom.
- List of Lists – Partial-eclipse has a HUGE list of themed fic lists in the HP fandom. Looking for Marriage Law fics? Check out the list of forced marriage fics. Looking for a list of fics sorted by pairing? That’s here, too. This is a Mature-rated site due to some of the themed lists’ descriptions (i.e., sorted by sexual kink).
- Painless-j’s themed lists – This is a Mature-rated site and with very good reason. Many of the lists focus on sexual kinks. The story links here are sorted by sub-genres and clichés in the HP fandom. I visit this site often, although it would probably be more helpful to those who enjoy slash stories, as the lists have far fewer het and gen fics than slash fics.
- Fiction Alley’s Master List of Fic Recs-Sorted By Ship – Truthfully, a vast majority of the fics rec’ed here are not at all to my taste. But for a quick reference guide that includes a lot of fics on each ship’s thread, this is an easy place to search. I had no idea some of these ships existed!
- Blaze_faula‘s list of Recs-Sorted by Ship – This list contains a much higher percentage of fics that I like, though the lists are necessarily shorter. I’ve found a lot of great fics via this author’s numerous lists.
- Severus Snape/Hermione Granger Quizzes – This LJ community consists of categorized quizzes about the favorite fics in that ship. Where this will benefit those of you searching for fics, is that the answer posts for each quiz contain an excerpt from and links to each fic. I.e., I skip the quizzes and go straight to the answers to find good stories. Among the categories I’ve seen: Hermione as Snape’s Apprentice, Hermione as a professor, Marriage Law Challenge (MLC) fics, Student/Teacher fics, and the lists go on and on. Start on the community’s profile page, then go through the Master Lists, sorted by year. There may be better ways to search-by-category within this huge ship, but this is possibly the best I’ve seen.
Pride & Prejudice
- Darcyholic Diversions’ Links List – This is a very thorough list of just about everything you might be searching for in the JAFF community, from story boards and archives, to rec sites, to author resources, and much, much more!
- The Jane Austen Fanfic Index – You’ll need to google for an age appropriate password to this amazing site. The “Related Links” button offers the most comprehensive list of P&P fic sites, rec sites, resources and more. Click Here for more JAFF Index details on my “About” page.
- “Looking for a Story” forum at DarcyAndLizzy.com – At this marvelous site, you may post your own thread with the story request within this forum.
- Austenonly – Jane Austen’s life, times and works explained and discussed. I love the wealth of info on this site which helps to explain the background to Jane Austen’s work. For example, Here you can learn what a “petrified spar” is (as mentioned in Chapter 42 of P&P).
- Roswell Fanatics’ “Looking For A Fanfic” Thread – I’m linking to the forum, not the thread, as the old thread is archived and a new thread started every so often. This is the best place I know of to ask for help finding a specific Ros fic or type of fic. It is also a good place to browse if you are just generally interested in finding an interesting Ros story which others recommend.
- RF’s complete list of Award Winners – If you’re trying to find the most popular fics in this fandom, this is a good place to start. I wouldn’t personally recommend every fic on this list, as some of the popular fics don’t match my tastes, but this list is the first place I go when I’m searching for a new-to-me, high-quality story.